SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is all about optimizing a website for search engines. SEO is a technique for:
- designing and developing a website to rank well in search engine results.
- improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website from search engines.
- marketing by understanding how search algorithms work, and what human visitors might search.
How Search Engine Works?
Search engines perform several activities in order to deliver search results.
- Crawling – Process of fetching all the web pages linked to a website. This task is performed by a software, called a crawler or a spider (or Googlebot, in case of Google).
- Indexing – Process of creating index for all the fetched web pages and keeping them into a giant database from where it can later be retrieved. Essentially, the process of indexing is identifying the words and expressions that best describe the page and assigning the page to particular keywords.
- Processing – When a search request comes, the search engine processes it, i.e. it compares the search string in the search request with the indexed pages in the database.
- Calculating Relevancy – It is likely that more than one page contains the search string, so the search engine starts calculating the relevancy of each of the pages in its index to the search string.
- Retrieving Results – The last step in search engine activities is retrieving the best matched results. Basically, it is nothing more than simply displaying them in the browser.
What is Search Engine Rank?
When you search any keyword using a search engine, it displays thousands of results found in its database. A page ranking is measured by the position of web pages displayed in the search engine results. If a search engine is putting your web page on the first position, then your web page rank will be number 1 and it will be assumed as the page with the highest rank.
SEO is the process of designing and developing a website to attain a high rank in search engine results.